- How Long Does a Tempur-Pedic Mattress Last - March 9, 2022
- Intellibed vs Tempurpedic: Which Is the Better Mattress? - February 17, 2022
- Tempur-Pedic vs Purple Mattress: What is the Better Mattress? - February 17, 2022
Finding the best mattress can be a challenge, with so much choice out there. If you want a high-quality foam mattress but you’re finding it difficult to decide, our Bear Mattress vs Purple comparison might be able to narrow it down for you.
Both Bear and Purple offer high-quality mattresses, including all-foam mattresses. The question is, which one is better between the two? And how can you tell if they will suit your sleeping style? We’ll be looking at them both in detail, so you can decide which one works best for you. We’ll start by looking at what sets them apart.
Main Differences Between the Bear Mattress vs Purple
The main differences between the Bear Mattress vs Purple are:
- The Bear Mattress is better for lighter sleepers, whereas Purple isn’t as good for those under 130lbs
- The Bear Mattress doesn’t offer enough support for those over 230lbs, whereas the Purple mattress offers a bit more support
- The Bear Mattress is a little softer, whereas the Purple mattress has more resistance
- The Bear Mattress is great for athletes, whereas the Purple mattress suits hot sleepers generally
- The Bear Mattress in the Queen size is over $300 cheaper, whereas the Purple mattress is more expensive
- The Bear requires you to test their mattresses for 30 nights before returning, whereas Purple requires you to try their mattresses for 21 nights
Bear Mattress vs Purple: the Mattresses Compared
How do these two mattresses compare? We’ll be looking at them both in detail, including a breakdown of each layer, the materials used, and how it feels to sleep on. We’ll also compare them in terms of warranties, test times, and pricing. Let’s start with Bear.
Materials and Feel
The Bear Mattress comes in three different styles:
- The Bear Mattress – the original foam model
- The Bear Hybrid – a memory foam/coil hybrid
- The Bear Pro – an all-foam mattress with extra cooling technology
Today we’ll be focusing on the original Bear Mattress, so we can closely compare it to the Purple mattress later on.
Hot sleepers will enjoy using the Bear Mattress. Although it lacks some of the features found in the Bear Pro, it still helps to keep you cool by dispersing body heat.
This is thanks to the graphite-infused memory foam that forms the top layer. This helps because the mattress does conform to your body slightly, which can leave you feeling hot.
The cover also helps to cool you down. It’s made from a mixture of polyester and Celliant, which is a specially designed material that absorbs body heat to convert it into infrared energy. This energy is then transmitted back to you, which can aid faster muscle recovery after exercise. Athletes may want to look into Bear mattresses for this reason.
While it does conform to the body (which is great for relieving pressure points around the back, hips, and shoulders – excellent for side sleepers), it does offer some resistance.
It’s a medium-firm mattress, but it does lean more towards ‘firm’ than ‘medium’, and it offers a good balance for people who don’t want to feel as though they are sinking completely into their mattress, but don’t want to feel as though they are lying flat on top of it either.
If you suffer from back pain, it’s also potentially a good choice, as it does offer a bit of contouring and pressure relief. If you weigh over 230lbs, you may notice some discomfort, as it may not offer enough support.
It has great motion isolation – this means that you won’t disturb your partner if you have to get up a lot at night.
Here’s a breakdown of the individual layers of the original Bear Mattress:
- Cover – polyester/Celliant
- Comfort Layer – graphite-infused comfort foam
- Transition Layer – responsive pressure relief foam
- Support Layer – high-density support foam
The foams used in the Bear Mattress are CertiPUR-US Certified – this means they’re made without harmful materials (like heavy metals).
The Bear Mattress does suffer a bit with off-gassing (a strong smell that is emitted once unboxed). It’s not particularly strong compared to other foam mattresses and should take a couple of days to fade away.
Materials and Feel
Purple offers three mattresses:
- The Original Purple Mattress (an all-foam mattress)
- The Purple Hybrid (a foam/coil hybrid mattress)
- The Purple Hybrid Premier (a slightly more plush version of the Purple Hybrid)
We’ll be focusing on the Original Purple mattress today, to compare it to the all-foam Bear mattress.
It’s a good mattress for hot sleepers. If you do sleep very hot, it’s worth checking out the Purple Hybrid – hybrid mattresses can be a little cooler than foam mattresses, as the coils improve airflow through the mattress.
However, despite being an all-foam mattress, the Purple does sleep very cool. You won’t sink into it too much, which helps to keep you cooler, and it has Purple’s unique ‘Grid’ system.
The Grid layer is made from a temperature-neutral elastic gel. This flexes under pressure points, providing support whilst creating channels of air, which helps to boost air circulation. The soft-knit cover is made from a breathable material, which works well with the Grid layer.
So, what about sleeping positions? If you weigh over 130lbs, you’ll probably find the Purple the most comfortable. It’s a medium-firm mattress, but it is fairly firm for that category.
Those under 130lbs might find it a bit too firm to be particularly comfortable (especially side sleepers). It does have some body contouring but is very responsive – you won’t sink into it completely. That does mean that if you enjoy the feeling of sinking into the bed at night, you might want to look for a softer mattress.
If you suffer from certain types of back pain, you may enjoy using the Purple mattress, as it provides support whilst keeping your spine in alignment.
It has good motion isolation, making it a great choice for couples.
Let’s take a closer look at the layers in the Original Purple mattress:
- Cover – SoftFlex knit cover
- Grid Layer – 2” Purple Grid hyper-elastic gel
- Comfort Layer – 3.5” polyurethane foam
- Support Layer – 4” high-density polyurethane foam
Their high-density support foam is CertiPUR-US Certified.
There is a tiny amount of off-gassing with Purple mattresses, but not particularly strong compared to most foam mattresses, and it dissipates within a couple of days.
Bear Mattress vs Purple – Warranties and Test Times
Bear and Purple offer the same warranty and test times – a 10-year warranty, and a 100-night sleep trial.
|Bear||100 nights||10 years|
|Purple||100 nights||10 years|
Both Bear and Purple require you to test their mattresses for a minimum number of nights (30 nights for Bear and 21 nights for Purple) before returning them as part of their sleep trial. This is down to the fact that it may take a little while for your body to adjust before you start to feel completely comfortable.
Bear Mattress vs Purple – Prices
How do these mattresses compare in terms of pricing? As they’re full-foam mattresses, they’re cheaper than their hybrid counterparts, but there’s a definite price gap between Bear and Purple.
So how do they compare in terms of price?
The Bear Mattress is over $300 cheaper than the original Purple mattress (for the Queen size). This means you could potentially make a pretty big saving by choosing a Bear mattress.
Is the Purple mattress worth spending more on? Ultimately it will be down to personal choice. In terms of quality, both Bear and Purple have a lot to offer, with new technologies for keeping you cool (like the Celliant cover on the Bear mattress, and the Grid layer in the Purple mattress). If you do want to save a bit of money, you might be tempted to go with the Bear.
If you’re on a tight budget, check out our guide to the Best Mattresses Under $500 – there are a lot of great options out there.
Who Are These Mattresses Made For?
Who could benefit from using a Bear or Purple mattress? Let’s take a look:
Hot sleepers will enjoy using the Bear Mattress. This is down to the graphite-infused memory foam (ideal for drawing heat away from you), as well as the Celliant material used in the cover, which can help to absorb heat. It’s also a great choice for athletes for this reason, as it can help to speed up muscle recovery.
Back and side sleepers may benefit from the Bear Mattress – it’s especially good for side-sleepers thanks to the pressure point relief. Sleepers over 230lbs may not find this offers enough support (and you may want to check out the Purple mattress instead).
Couples can be assured that they won’t disturb each other too much at night, thanks to the motion isolation.
Recap: You Should Love the Bear Mattress If You …
- Are a side sleeper
- Are under 230lbs
- Are a hot sleeper
- Are an athlete
- Are part of a couple
The Purple is also great for hot sleepers. While it’s not as effective as its Hybrid counterpart at keeping you cool, it still sleeps very coolly for a foam mattress, thanks to the breathable cover and the Grid layer which is designed to vastly improve airflow.
All sleeping positions should enjoy using the Purple mattress – unless you weigh under 130lbs. In that case, you might want to check out the Bear, as you might find it to be softer and more comfortable. If you prefer a mattress that doesn’t cradle you too much, pick this over the Bear.
Like the Bear Mattress, it’s ideal for couples, thanks to the excellent motion isolation.
Recap: You Should Love the Purple Mattress If You …
- Normally find foam mattresses too hot
- Are part of a couple
- Are over 130lbs
- Don’t like the feeling of being cradled too deeply by your mattress
If you want to check out other foam mattresses, here are a few that we can recommend:
- Nectar – on a tighter budget? Nectar could be a good choice. Their foam mattress works well for all kinds of sleeping positions, and they offer good quality for the price. You can find out more about it in our Nectar vs Loom and Leaf comparison.
- Amerisleep AS4 – Amerisleep is known for its high-qua2lity mattresses. This one has specially designed pressure points for side sleepers, so you can expect cushioning in the hip and shoulder area. You can read more about it in our Amerisleep A4 Review.
- Dynasty – this is another option if you want to check out a thicker foam mattress (at 12”). It’s comfortable and works well for any sleeping position, making it a versatile choice. You can find out more about it in our Dynasty Mattress Review
- Zinus has some good foam mattresses for a very low price in comparison to some other manufacturers out there. It still offers good support but allows you to keep the costs down. You can read more about it in our Zinus Memory Foam Mattress Review.
Answer: No – they’re designed in a specific way with each layer playing a role, so it’s important not to flip them, or you may lose out on some of the benefits (for example, the cooling top layer of both mattresses). You can rotate them once in a while if you want to.
Answer: They both manufacture their mattresses in the USA.
Answer: You should leave your new mattress for 48 hours if you can. Upon unboxing a foam mattress, it will decompress rapidly, but it does take a couple of days to fully decompress. Plus, it takes a little while for the off-gassing smell to dissipate.
Answer: Yes, both companies have showrooms or partnered retailers, so you can see their mattresses for yourself. Here is a list of Bear’s showrooms and partnered retailers, and Purple’s list of mattress stores.
Our Final Thoughts … Which Mattress is Best?
Which mattress do we like the best?
It’s a tough one to call! It depends on what you’re looking for. Ultimately, if we had to choose, we’d pick Bear, just because it offers good quality mattresses for a slightly lower price.
They’re both great though. Purple is ideal for those who normally find foam mattresses too hot. If you like a slightly firmer mattress, it’s perfect. Plus, it’s great for heavier sleepers who may not get enough support from the Bear mattress.
The Bear mattress is also great for hot sleepers and athletes. Sleepers under 130lbs who may find the Purple too uncomfortable may find that the Bear suits them exactly right, as it offers support whilst still giving you a nice, cushioned feel.
Both companies have good reputations and offer excellent sleep trials and warranties. It’s definitely worth giving them a try if you want a high-quality foam mattress!
You can find out more about Bear and Purple if you want to keep reading: