- How Long Does a Tempur-Pedic Mattress Last - March 9, 2022
- Intellibed vs Tempurpedic: Which Is the Better Mattress? - February 17, 2022
- Tempur-Pedic vs Purple Mattress: What is the Better Mattress? - February 17, 2022
It can be hard to tell the difference between mattresses, especially when you’re shopping online and can’t see them in person. Both Bear and TempurPedic offer supportive, comfortable foam mattresses – but what’s the difference between them, and which one is best for you?
We’ll take a look at both mattresses, including their materials and feel, construction, pricing, and warranties. Hopefully, we can help to narrow down your search.
Let’s start by looking at the main differences between Bear and TempurPedic.
Main Differences Between Bear Mattress vs TempurPedic
The main differences between Bear Mattress vs TempurPedic are:
- The Bear Mattress is great for hot sleepers all thanks to the graphite-infused memory foam, whereas TempurPedic mattresses sleep hot
- The Bear Mattress is great for athletes, whereas the TempurPedic mattress doesn’t have the same features for muscle recovery
- The Bear Mattress has a bit more resistance, whereas the TempurPedic ‘cradles’ you as you sleep
- The Bear Mattress doesn’t have antimicrobial treatment on the cover, whereas the TempurPedic does
- The Bear Mattress offers a 100-night sleep trial, whereas TempurPedic offers a 90-night sleep trial
- The Bear Mattress may be good for back pain, whereas the TempurPedic mattress is designed to really help to relieve back pain
- The Bear Mattress comes in at a fairly low price, whereas the TempurPedic is a lot more expensive
Bear Mattress vs TempurPedic: The Mattresses Compared
How do these mattresses compare? Let’s take a look at them both in more detail.
Materials and Feel
The Bear Mattress comes in three styles – the Bear Mattress, the Bear Hybrid, and the Bear Pro. Today we’ll be concentrating on the Bear Mattress. The Hybrid is a memory foam/coil hybrid, while the Pro uses natural copper, which helps to draw body heat away from you.
The Bear Mattress is constructed from three types of foam. The graphite-infused memory foam on the top layer helps to keep you cool by dispersing body heat, so it’s a good choice for hot sleepers, although not as effective as the Bear Pro.
It has a good balance – it conforms to your body, which is great for avoiding pressure points from forming around your hips, back, and shoulders.
It’s a medium-firm mattress, but it leans slightly more towards the ‘firm’ scale, which means that it won’t hug you too closely. This makes it the perfect choice for those who don’t want to feel they are sleeping ‘in’ their mattress but don’t want to feel as though they’re just laying flat on top of it.
It’s a good mattress for those suffering from certain types of back pain and could help you to get a comfortable night’s sleep. However, sleepers over 230lbs may notice some pressure and discomfort forming around the shoulder area.
The cover feels comfortable and cool. It’s made from polyester and Celliant, which absorbs body heat and converts that heat into infrared energy, which is transmitted back into you. This may improve circulation, making more tissue oxygen available for your cells. This is great for athletes as it encourages quicker recovery after exercise.
The foams used are CertiPUR-US Certified, which means they’re made without harmful materials like mercury, lead, and other heavy metals.
Let’s look at the construction of the Bear Mattress:
- Cover – polyester and Celliant (not removable)
- Comfort Layer – graphite-infused comfort foam
- Transition Layer – responsive pressure relief foam
- Support Layer – high-density support foam
Like all-foam mattresses, the Bear Mattress does suffer from off-gassing, which means a strong smell will be emitted once you’ve unboxed it. This will dissipate after a couple of days, and it’s about average in terms of smell compared to other mattresses.
Materials and Feel
TempurPedic sells a few mattresses, including the TEMPUR-Pro Adapt, the TEMPUR-Luxe Adapt, and the TEMPUR-Breeze.
These have a few different features – for example, the Pro-Adapt has advanced pressure relief, the Luxe-Adapt conforms to your body shape, and the Breeze is designed to keep you cool at night. We’ll be looking at the classic TEMPUR-Adapt today.
It has a cool-to-touch cover, which mitigates the fact that the mattress itself sleeps hot. It also has antimicrobial treatment which helps to protect it against allergens like dust mite dander and mold.
It’s a medium-firm mattress, and it sits pretty much squarely in the middle – not too firm, not too soft. You will sink into it, as TempurPedic mattresses are designed to be snug around you, conforming to your body. There is a little bit of resistance there, however. It’s designed to keep your spine in alignment, which is great for back pain.
It works well for side sleepers – you can sleep on it without worrying about pressure points forming around the shoulders, and hips. Back sleepers will find it comfortable too, but heavier stomach sleepers might find it doesn’t offer enough support.
It’s a good choice for couples thanks to the motion isolation. If you move around a lot at night, your partner shouldn’t be disturbed by your movements.
The foams used are CertiPUR-US Certified.
Let’s take a look at each layer of the TEMPUR-Adapt mattress:
- Cover – cool-knit fabric with antimicrobial treatment
- Comfort Layer – soft comfort foam
- Support Layer – high-density adaptable support foam
Like the Bear Mattress, you will experience off-gassing with TempurPedic mattresses. The smell is quite strong with TempurPedic mattresses, so if you’re very sensitive to smells, you may want to steer clear – some users have reported a long term smell that lingers even after the usual dissipation period.
Bear Mattress vs TempurPedic – Test Times and Warranties
What happens if something goes wrong with your mattress, or you don’t like it? Let’s see how the Bear and TempurPedic mattresses compare. While Bear offers a 10-year warranty and a 100-night risk-free trial, whereas the TempurPedic has a 10-year warranty with a 90-night trial.
|Bear Mattress||100 nights||10 years|
|TempurPedic||90 nights||10 years|
It’s worth trying out your new mattress for at least 30 nights to see how you get on, as you may experience a few aches and pains as your body adjusts. Bear and TempurPedic both ask you to try their mattresses for at least 30 nights before you return them using their sleep trials.
Bear Mattress vs TempurPedic – Prices
Both mattresses we’re looking at today are made entirely from foam. Foam mattresses tend to be cheaper than hybrids, which is why the Bear Hybrid is more expensive, for example. Let’s take a look at how they compare to each other:
There is a huge difference between Bear and TempurPedic in terms of pricing – you’re looking at over $1,000 more for the TEMPUR-Adapt in the Queen size, compared to the Bear in the queen size. TempurPedic mattresses, in general, are a big investment.
So, why are TempurPedic mattresses so expensive? It’s partly down to brand reputation. TempurPedic mattresses are based on NASA technology, with certification from the Space Foundation.
You’re looking at a highly-esteemed, well-known brand. They also use high-quality materials, and their mattresses are durable – you can expect them to last a long time.
But is it worth the money compared to Bear? We think that the price gap is pretty enormous given how close they are in terms of spinal support and comfort.
You could save a huge amount of money if you went for the Bear. However, they’re fairly new, so it’s difficult to judge how long their mattresses truly last compared to the TempurPedic – you may have to replace it sooner.
Bear Mattress vs TempurPedic – Who Are These Mattresses Made For?
So which mattress is right for you? Here’s a rundown of their main features:
The Bear Mattress is better for hot sleepers. This is because of the graphite-infused memory foam, which is very effective in drawing heat away from you. It’s also a good choice for athletes, thanks to the Celliant material used in the cover – it can absorb heat, turn it into infrared energy, and transfer it back to you, which may be good for muscle recovery.
It’s good for back and side sleepers, as it offers great relief from pressure points. However, sleepers over 230lbs will struggle as they may find it becomes uncomfortable, especially around the shoulders.
It’s a good choice for couples, as the motion isolation is great. The off-gassing isn’t particularly troublesome, either.
Recap: You Should Love the Bear Mattress If You …
- Are a hot sleeper
- Are an athlete
- Like to sleep on your back or side
- Are under 230lbs
- Are part of a couple
The TEMPUR-Adapt is ideally suited for those suffering from back pain. It cradles your body, ensuring your spine stays in alignment whilst still offering support. If you can’t find a mattress that suits you and you suffer from consistent back pain, it’s worth trying out.
However, if you’re a hot sleeper, you might want to steer clear. Despite the cooling cover, it is a hot mattress.
Side sleepers and back sleepers can enjoy a comfortable night’s sleep on this mattress, and stomach sleepers may be comfortable too. However, like the Bear mattress, sleepers over 230lbs might find it doesn’t offer enough support to be comfortable to sleep on.
If you’re part of a couple, you will enjoy the motion isolation, which is great if you toss and turn a lot at night. However, the off-gassing is a real pain for those with sensitive noses – you might notice the smell lingers for longer than you’d like.
Recap: You Should Love TempurPedic Mattresses If You …
- Are not a hot sleeper
- Are part of a couple
- Like to sleep in different positions
- Suffer from back pain
- Are under 230lbs
If you want to keep looking for a new foam mattress, we have a few we can recommend to you:
- Dynasty – this is a medium-firm foam mattress, 12” thick. It’s great for any sleeping position. You can read about it in our Dynasty Mattress Review.
- Amerisleep AS4 – this is a high-quality mattress and has specially designed pressure points in the hip and shoulder area. It’s perfect for side sleepers. You can find out more in our Amerisleep A4 Review.
- Purple – this is slightly firmer than some of the others on this list, making it a good choice if you want a mattress with more support. It’s a bit thinner too, at 9.5”. See how Purple compares to Nectar or Bear Mattress here.
- Nectar – a great choice if you’re on a tighter budget, this is perfect for all kinds of sleeping positions. It’s comfortable and durable, too. You can find out more about it in our Nectar vs Loom and Leaf comparison.
Answer: If you want to pick the most eco-friendly company, here’s a look at how each one performs:
• They use environmentally-friendly foams that are CertiPUR-US Certified
• They manufacture all their mattresses in the US and are dedicated to reducing emissions in their manufacturing process
• They source components and manufacture mattresses close to where you order from – meaning your mattress won’t have to travel as far to get to you
• TempurPedic is creating a manufacturing plant in Albuquerque, New Mexico, using renewable energy, which will reduce their carbon footprint
• They have reduced nearly 3,800 tons of greenhouse emissions each year in their facility in Virginia
• They are committed to finding new methods for reducing, repurposing, and upcycling waste
Answer: Yes, both companies have partnered retailers that sell their mattresses. Check out TempurPedic’s retail store directory and Bear’s directory of showrooms and partnered retailers.
Answer: No – their mattresses are not designed to be flipped.
Answer: Yes. Both mattresses will arrive in a box, and they need 24-48 hours to decompress, so they can fully expand. They also need a bit of time for off-gassing, which is especially important if you are sensitive to strong odors.
To Sum Up … Which Mattress is Best?
While TempurPedic is a great company with an excellent reputation, we’d have to pick Bear today.
The TEMPUR-Adapt is great. It’s durable, it’s comfortable, and it is excellent for those suffering from back pain. We would recommend investigating TempurPedic in more depth if you do suffer from back pain – it’s worth checking them out if you need proper spinal support.
However, the Bear mattress wins out for us today. It’s better for hot sleepers, it’s great for athletes, it’s comfortable, and it is a lot cheaper. If you’re on a budget, you can save a ton of money whilst still enjoying a great night’s sleep. It’s hard to tell yet how durable Bear mattresses are, but for the price, we think it’s worth trying out.
Both companies produce excellent mattresses, and you can find out more about them here: