The Casper mattress is the new “bed-in-box” type of mattress that has quickly established itself in the industry. This mattress can only be purchased online, which saves the hassle of middle-men and saves costs.
To order a Casper mattress online, you need to go online see here and choose the size you want. The mattress will then be delivered to your house.
The Casper mattress is made entirely in the United States of America. The covers are hand-sewn in Illinois and South Carolina and the internal structure is made in Georgia and Pennsylvania.
The Casper mattress has a unique design, consisting of three different layers of foam.
Top Layer – The top layer of the Casper mattress consists of 1.5 inches of zoned non-allergenic latex foam. It provides great comfort and reduces pressure points. It also provides a good bounce to the mattress.
Middle layer– The middle layer consists of 1.5 inches of memory foam. The memory foam supports and stabilizes the top layer and absorbs energy.
Bottom Layer – The bottom layer consists of 7 inches of support foam. This layer supports the other two and has good breathability.
Though memory foam helps support the body, the problem that most people have with this foam is that it makes you feel hot as it absorbs heat and due to the additional sinkage, you end up with more of the mattress on your body. But in the Casper mattress, this problem is resolved as the layer of latex over the memory foam helps cool you down.
The cover of the Casper mattress has a simple design and has a single piece of white fabric on top. The top piece is thick, can be stretched, and also has a nice texture.
All the textiles used to make the cover are sourced from the USA and have been imported from Belgium.
The cover of the Casper mattress is porous and provides a great cooling effect on the body and allows the body to breathe. The cover is very well made and has a nice aesthetic 2-tone design.
Firmness, Comfort, & Support
The mattress provides good support for all sleeping positions but has fairly weak edges. When you lie down in a normal position on the mattress, you have a sinkage of 1.5 inches. The mattress may be a bit too firm for side sleepers.
Guarantee & Trial Period
The best part about the Casper mattress is that it has a 100 day trial period. So if you don’t find the mattress comfortable enough or it is not suited to your needs, you can always ask for a refund within 100 days.
You don’t even need to ship the mattress back as the company will find a recycling center or donation agency in your area that will pick up the mattress.
The mattress comes with a 10-year warranty and will be fully replaced if it doesn’t meet your standards. If the mattress sags more than 1 inch in any part, it can be replaced via the warranty policy.
The Casper mattress is not too expensive as compared to other mattresses and a twin mattress is priced at $500. For $100 more, you can get the Twin XL and a full comes for $750. A queen mattress is priced at around $850 while a king-sized mattress is priced at around $950. The California king-sized mattress also comes for $750. The price also includes free delivery to your house.
If you order a Casper mattress, it will be shipped via UPS and will be delivered within 1-5 days. It comes in a large box which is approximately 2′ x 2′ x 5 inches. The mattress is compressed with heavy-duty plastic and is folded up a little to fit in the box. The company also sends a letter opener type tool in the box so that you can cut through the plastic and use your mattress.
Who should buy this mattress?
This mattress is not ideal for those who like an extremely firm mattress or an extremely soft one. The Casper mattress is ideal for people who like mattresses that do not have springs, which are not very slow-moving.
In terms of fitness, this mattress is about 6-7 on a scale of ten. If you like a mattress that is soft on top and forms a sort of hug around your body when you lie down, the Casper mattress is your best bet.
Positives – Things I Liked
- Balancing Comfort + Support: The biggest positive about this mattress is the kind of feel it creates for the customer. It balances comfort and support and doesn’t let you feel hot at all and you don’t feel like you are sinking into the mattress.
- Quality Materials: They are also choosy about the textiles they use and pay attention to detail. For instance, they use non-allergenic latex foam that has been certified by the very highly difficult Oeko Tex 100. The Oeko Tex 100 standard is a top-notch and strict European certification. This means that the material used for the foam is not at all harmful to the environment or the person.
- CertiPUR Certified: The two bottom layers have been certified according to CertiPUR and have been found to contain less volatile organic compounds and contain no polybrominated diphenyl ethers that are normally used as flame retardants. It does not have any heavy metal varieties, no prohibited phthalates as well as no formaldehyde.
- Fire Barrier: The Casper mattress uses a fabric with a core of silica which provides a perfect fire barrier. So if it ever catches fire, the inner layer fabric suppresses the flame and forms a barrier. Most other memory foam mattresses contain chemical fire retardants that are added in order to pass the federal fire qualifications. Babies are also not affected or harmed in any way by the mattress.
- Information Up Front: The company makes sure it specifies all the details of the mattress online so you know what you are buying and whether it is to your liking. The price is decent and the three layers provide adequate satisfaction and warmth.
Negatives – Things I Didn’t Like
- Not Available Offline: One of the negatives of the Casper mattress is the fact that it can only be purchased online. So you cannot get a feel of it before buying it, unlike other mattresses. But their 100-day trial period ensures that you can try out the mattress after buying and return it if you are not satisfied.
- No Variety/Customization: Another drawback is that there is no variety in the mattresses as there is only one model. The Casper mattress doesn’t come with a foundation and the customer will have to buy it on his own or can place the mattress on the ground.
- Some Complaints About Firmness: Some customers feel the mattress is too firm for some side sleepers and the edges are not strong enough. As an aside, I personally did not find this to be the case, but it’s worth noting for full disclosure.
- Initial Odor: The mattress has a slightly unpleasant odor initially which wears off within no time (within a week for me).
- New Company: Since the company started just a year ago, it is difficult to gauge the durability of the mattress. This could work as a slight disadvantage for the Casper mattress as people might opt for more trusted brands or brands that have been around for longer.
Some Tips to Get the Most Out of It
Here are a few tips for customers who want to purchase the Casper mattress:
- You should give your body 4-6 weeks to adjust to the Casper mattress. This is because it generally takes the body a little longer to adjust to mattresses that do not have springs and that have either latex or memory foam.
- You should protect the top layer of the mattress using a waterproof Luna premium protector as the latex foam on top is quite delicate. When you use the Luna brand protector, you will find that it is so thin that it does not create any barriers and you will not even realize that it is there.
- You can use a metallic frame that has nine wheels as a foundation for the Casper mattress. You can use the Stabl-Base Ultimate brand bed frame because it is built like a tank and is made using carbon rail steel. You can also order it with glides. The numerous points of contact will help keep the mattress stable overall.
Final Take – Worth the Investment?
In such a short time in the industry, the Casper mattress has managed to win over many customers. Around 84 percent of customers have been impressed with the mattress and are satisfied with its quality. Almost 20 percent of the customers praise the Casper mattress for its pricing and believe its value for money.
The company’s customer service has also been rated as above average by most customers. I didn’t have to use them (because I loved my mattress), but this is comforting to know.
Overall: Despite being a newcomer to the mattress marketplace, Casper is well worth the investment. The “cons” are relatively minor and the “pros” help set it apart from the competition. It is shaking things up (in a good way) in a traditionally conservative industry. Blending value with quality is a winning formula in my book.
See how Casper compares to other popular brands: