Sealy is one of the more well known brands for posturepedic mattresses. In this review, we’ll look at a few of the distinguishing features and offer an overall assessment on whether this particular mattress is worth the investment (or not).
First things first….
What is a posturepedic mattress?
A posturepedic mattress is a kind of bedding that is manufactured by Sealy, by making use of a spring unit that is continuous. This means that all the springs in the mattress are made out of a single, unbroken wire. There are normally around two hundred and eighty eight springs in a posturepedic mattress.
The core of the posturepedic mattress manufactured by Sealy is made of latex. The latex used is of a breathable kind, and does not heat up the body.
Why is it a hybrid?
These mattresses, apart from being posturepedic, are also a classy blend of foam and spring. The foam adds to the softness of the bedding, while the spring prevents the body from being weighed down. Therefore, combining these two is a stroke of genius by Sealy. The idea for this product is born out two other Sealy mattresses – the Sealy gel mattress and the Sealy classic.
The unique features of a Posturepedic Hybrid Mattress
A posturepedic hybrid mattress has a number of characteristic features that stem from these two basic properties. Some of them are explained further.
- The top layer of fabric – Sealy’s posturepedic hybrid mattresses are encased by a fabric that has been well knit. The spun yarn used in the cover adds to the durability, and the fabric is soft against the skin. It is stretchable enough, and the fabric on the sides is and the border is made of breathable materials, in order to allow easy airflow, and to keep the body cool.
- The coil system – The coil used in the mattresses has been especially designed in such a manner that the product answers the alignment and curves of the body, thus making it adaptable to align itself according to the user’s needs. Each round of coil has been separately encased, thus making it possible for the mattress to feature independent coil movement.
- The corner handles – Certain models also display wrapped handles at the corners, which makes it easy to move the mattress around.
- The reinforced border – A solid, two and a half to three inch border runs along the edge of the mattress. This enables the user to enjoy a firmer, and more solid, seating surface.
- The layers in the mattress – The comfort layer is made of soft foam, in order to soften the mattress. The core layer contains foam that is infused with reinforced gel. This layer is placed at the center, thus making it the core, and adding to the support and stability of the mattress. The gel is reinforced with cooling properties, and absorbs the effects of frequent movement. Beneath the foam come the springs, that are designed to provide full body support.
- The specially engineered coils – This is the signature style of posturepedic mattresses. The carefully engineered coils used in the bedding are made of titanium alloy, and are encased and independent, thus making it possible for the mattress to offer precise and tailored support to the body. The encasing of the coils allows them to move independently, instead of moving altogether. This in turn reduces motion transfer, and allows for undisturbed sleep.Around twenty percent of the coils are populated around the center, thereby adding support to the area of the mattress where most of the body weight is concentrated.
- The dual purpose gel – The gel used in combination with the foam offers two advantages. Firstly, it adds to the padding. And secondly, it has a unique cooling property, which makes it possible to regulate the temperature and keep the mattress cool. This offers a peaceful sleeping experience, even on hot nights.
The Pros of a Posturepedic Hybrid Mattress
A product that has been engineered with as much care as aposturepedic hybrid mattress has been will naturally have several advantages. These mattresses, in particular, have been tailored to offer the best possible sleeping experience, by addressing a number of issues that normally lead to a disturbed night’s sleep. On this front, the mattress performs extremely well. It has the following advantages.
- Pressure absorption – The unique combination of foam, coil, and gel allows the mattress to absorb the pressure of the body, and to disburse the said pressure evenly across the surface. This makes it ideal to withstand any weight and size.
- Motion absorption – How often has one person had a terrible night’s sleep because the person next to them kept moving around? This mattress is the answer to those problems. The unique hybrid principle involved in its making absorbs the impact of such frequent movement, and allows more than one person to sleep on its surface, in peace.
- Pressure relief – A number of otherwise good mattresses fail when it comes to pressure relief. Sealy’s posturepedic hybrid mattress wins easily on this front. It has a comfort layer, a core layer with latex, and a base layer of coils that help it to absorb shock and pressure.
- Temperature regulation – Gone are the days when people needed a bed to keep them warm. Now, a bed needs to keep people cool. The posturepedic hybrid mattress from Sealy has a cooling gel among its constituents. This ingredient helps to regulate the temperature of the mattress, and prevents it from getting warmer when people lie in it. The mattress remains cool, pleasant and pleasant, and you end up having a good sleep.
- The Latex Advantage – The cooling property is further enhanced and supported by the latex core. All in all, the heat from the body is not trapped in the mattress, as in most other cases. This tends to keep the overall temperature lower than average. Hence, a cooling effect is produced.
- Body contouring – Since this mattress is, in effect, a hybrid, it naturally combines the better aspects of the two worlds it originates from. As a result, the unique combination of foam and spring is good at adjusting to the contours of the body, and also at adding a bouncy feeling that some people love.
- Warranty Period – This is another plus side to the posturepedic hybrid mattress. They come with a warranty of five to ten years. This is a bonus that can be counted upon in case of any emergency.
The Cons of a Posturepedic Hybrid Mattress
For such a glorified mattress as the posturepedic hybrid, is it really possible that there is a downside? The honest answer is in the affirmative. Let us take a look at the cons of this wonder product.
- Reduced Lifespan – Owing to the springs that make up the core, the posturepedic hybrid model fails on the longevity front. It does not last long, as the impression of the body on the surface eventually lowers the comfort factor of the product.
- The Princess’s Pea – While the firmness that these mattresses offer is good at supporting the body weight, it can sometimes work against its favor. Some people might find it too hard and too firm to offer a comfortable night’s sleep.
- New product odor – This is a disadvantage that most new mattresses possess, and the posturepedic hybrid bed from Sealy is no different. For the first few weeks or months after the product is unwrapped, it gives off a chemical odor, perhaps due to the use of gel and latex in its core. This can be unpleasant for some people. Eventually though, it wears off.
- The pricing – Of course, a product whose advantages outnumber its disadvantages is bound to be on the higher end of the price range. This model may appear pricey, depending on the purchaser’s budget constraints.
So what is the final verdict?
Having understood the pros and the cons of these mattresses, the decision to purchase it or not ultimately depends on the preferences and the priorities of the user. If you are looking for a mattress that is affordable, or if you prefer a mattress that will last a really long time, or if you are extra sensitive to firm surfaces and mild odors, then it would be better to consider other options.
However, if you value a comfortable sleep above all else, no matter what the cost, then this is an ideal mattress for you. Also, if slight increases in temperature keep you tossing and turning through the night, this mattress from Sealy will solve those issues with its cooling technology. We have to say this for the posturepedic hybrid – it really does deliver all that it promises to.